May 20, 2026 - 248 views
Fresh frustration has swept across the Menai Strait this morning after the historic Menai Suspension Bridge was forced to close for emergency inspection works following reports that an overweight vehicle crossed the bridge.
Traffic Wales confirmed the closure was introduced as a safety precaution while engineers assess the structure.
In a statement, Traffic Wales said: “Warning. Due to an overweight vehicle crossing the bridge the road must be closed to carry out an inspection of the bridge. We will reopen the bridge as soon as it is safe to do so.”
A further update added: “Apologies for the inconvenience but our priority is your safety. We wish to remind you that only vehicles under 7.5t are allowed to use Menai Bridge.”
The bridge was re-opened shortly after 11am.
The latest closure is likely to spark anger and exasperation among residents, commuters and businesses on both sides of the Menai Strait, many of whom say the disruption has become an all-too-familiar part of daily life.
For years, local traders and tourism operators have warned that repeated restrictions, emergency closures and ongoing maintenance issues affecting both the Menai Suspension Bridge and the nearby Britannia Bridge have had a damaging impact on the economy of Ynys Môn and Gwynedd.
Business owners have frequently spoken of cancelled bookings, delivery delays and staff struggling to get to work whenever one of the crossings is disrupted. Residents have also repeatedly raised concerns about emergency access, long diversion routes and severe congestion, particularly during peak holiday periods.
The issue first intensified in late 2022 when the Menai Suspension Bridge was closed for several months over serious structural concerns, causing traffic chaos across the region and fuelling calls for long-term solutions rather than short-term repairs.
Since then, every fresh closure or traffic incident has reignited debate over whether North Wales can continue relying on just two ageing crossings linking Ynys Môn to the mainland.
Many local campaigners and residents now argue that the latest incident underlines the growing need for a more resilient third crossing across the Menai Strait — something that has increasingly become a political talking point in Wales.
The Welsh Conservatives have repeatedly renewed calls for a third Menai crossing, arguing the current situation is harming the economy and tourism sector on Ynys Môn. Earlier this year, the party said it would commit to delivering a new crossing if elected, describing it as essential for strengthening connectivity in North Wales.
During the recent Senedd election campaign, transport infrastructure and economic resilience featured heavily in political debate across Wales, although there remains no agreed timetable or funding commitment for a third crossing from the current Welsh Government.
The issue has gained further prominence following the historic election victory of Rhun ap Iorwerth and Plaid Cymru earlier this month, ending more than a century of Labour dominance in Wales.
For many residents this morning, however, the politics matters less than the practical reality of once again facing uncertainty, delays and disruption whenever problems occur on one of the region’s crucial transport lifelines.
